[opensource]Re: State of the .... mutex?

Nick Dimiduk dimiduk.1@osu.edu
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:07:35 -0500

Chris Anderson wrote:
> So as people have probably noticed, we've been rather dormant so far this
> year. Mostly this lies in me being too busy with class/work to do much of
> anything else this quarter, sorry about dropping the ball so far. After
> talking to Ted and Tony (among other people) we decided on a few things:

You're not the only one.  I have been in contact with one cmcurtin in
regard to a lisp/functional programming presentation.  He, it would
seem, has been just as busy (more-so?) as the rest of us, but I hope to
resume contact with him this week.

> 1) We're going to run a Debian mirror for powerpc and x86 on Freedom.
> Gentoo and/or Ubuntu will be considered depending on how much space we
> have. Right now we're ignoring Fedora and the like since that would be
> mostly an iso mirror while we're more interested in the actual package
> mirroring. Connections will be limited to something like 5-8 per SOC's
> request during the week, we can increase this on the weekends from the
> look of it.
>
> 2) Freedom will also begin hosting CVS repositories for groups in CS who
> need a place to work together (mainly for class, but we can obviously
> allow some exceptions).
>
> 3) We *might* allow user accounts (this would imply webspace as well).
> Depends how much space we have after the above 2 points.

How how much disk space is this "beast" loaded with?  I wasn't aware the
box had this kind of resources.  I assume you'll always take donations?

> As for meetings, I'm open to suggestions.

Meetings are good so long as there are topics to discuss.  Maybe we need
a simple introductory meeting to let people we exist?  Of course, that
begs the question: do we want people to know we exist...?

-Nick