[opensource]Linux and the Silicon Image 'RAID' card

Nandan bagchee@cis.ohio-state.edu
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:33:50 -0400

Hi all,

I was trying a gentoo install over a four disk array
attached to a software RAID card using the Sil0680
chipset. I used the POST card program to 'dissolve'
the raid sets, and expected to see the raw disks
at /dev/sd* or /dev/hd* but they weren't there.

When I attached another disk to the mobo's IDE I
got /dev/hda, so I stepped thru the install and
everything went fine. The smp kernel hangs on
the gentoo kernel, with params doscsi & noapic.
The box has dual procs though, so I suppose that
means I won't get the faster compiles I'd been
counting on.

Any help, pointers greatly appreciated. So far
Googling hasn't helped, tho it did clear up a
few things about sw raid.

TIA,
Nandan

PS network is detected ok, and I'm doing a stage1