[opensource] Re: Reverse engineering project, sounds kinda fun.

Nandan bagchee at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 19 13:29:00 EDT 2005

>Anyone interested in helping a teacher who sorely wishes that some software he
>depends on were open source?

Why doesn't he just adopt new software? Surely the old grades are stored in a
textformat, and if they aren't, surely he's learned a lesson by now :-P

Hey, this is 2005, you're using DOS, the author of your program just died, for
gods sake.  Someone's sending you a signal, like SIG_TIMETOSWITCH ;-)

>  The second version I have is an older version and is registered to another
>  user.  If I would be unable to get the first version registered to me, I
>  would like to have this version changed to my name.  The name is some how
>  hard coded into the program.

But seriously, forget the registration. If the other person has signed over the
program to you, surely that's enough. If not, a binary editor might fix it.

* paranoia mode-switch *

This sounds like a DMCA honey-pot to me though. Anyone dying to fill Skylarov's
shoes :-) Could it be cmcurtin has gone over to the dark side?

--
Nandan Bagchee

	Apparently, the New York Times was stunned that their short list of
	Cardinal Gloria Steinem, Cardinal Rupert Everett and Cardinal Rosie
	O'Donnell were defeated at the last moment by some guy who came out of left
	field and isn't even gay or female but instead belongs to the discredited
	''Catholic'' faction of the Catholic Church.

				-- Mark Steyn on Cardinal Ratzinger