[opensource] This is your club :)

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Fri May 20 12:57:19 EDT 2005

Greetings.  Can someone please forward this to appropriate cis.*
newsgroups?  cis.general perhaps?  I'd also be interested in reaching
any open-source software developers around.

For those of you who don't know me, I was the dictator of the
open-source club a few years ago.  Since then I've graduated and now
live in Portland, OR.

The year is almost over, and it would normally be time to pick a new
open-source club president.  I don't know whether Chris is planning on
holding elections this year; nothing much has happened in the club.
The web page has still never restored the lecture archives that we
started, the club has not held many (any?)  meetings this year.

We used to hold a meeting, talk, or hackathon almost every week, with
the officers meeting mid-week to plan a few weeks ahead.  We
established a lab in Dreese Labs, which we shared with the robot
class.  We released a Resolve/C++ CD for Linux.  We participated in /
hosted the first meeting of the Ohio Linux User Groups, InterLUG.

I hope that someone can take the reins of the club starting now or
starting next year so that the club doesn't die out altogether.  Free
and open-source software has gained a lot of momentum in the last few
years, and sadly the club has lost all of its momentum.

Think about yourself and your friends, and whether you would like to
get together to run this club, build it up again from scratch with
your own ideas of what it should be.  The club still has very useful
resources, like a mailing list, a login / web / CVS server for
projects, and an IRC chat room.  Use them to rebuild a fun and useful
organization.

peace,

  isaac