[opensource] Firefox 1.5 RC1 Released!

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 2 13:39:45 EST 2005

On 11/2/05, Nick Dimiduk <dimiduk.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Alex Lingo wrote:
> > Firefox 1.5 RC1 has been released. The final version is only weeks away!
>
> <snip>
>
> > * *Automated update* to streamline product upgrades. Notification of
> > an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be
> > half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
>
> Does anyone know how this will work with the binaries installed to root?
> I hope they don't expect you to run firefox as root in order to use
> this auto-update feature.

I believe, with my experience with it in the past, it does require you to
run it as root. If you are not root, and the binary is in a root-privaleged
enviroment, the "Help - Check for Updates" is simply greyed out.

They way I solved it was, I gave write-permission to my normal user for the
firefox sub-directory. Then I could auto-update all I want.

For reference, the auto-update from Beta 2 to RC1 for me under Windows
(Sorry - playing HL2: Lost Coast and Garry's Mod) was 665KB, while a full
download is in the order of 6MB.