[opensource] Firefox 1.5 RC1 Released!

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Nov 3 18:29:40 EST 2005

Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> Alex Lingo wrote:
>
>> Firefox 1.5 RC1 has been released. The final version is only weeks away!
>

> <snip>
>
>>     * *Automated update* to streamline product upgrades. Notification of
>>       an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be
>>       half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
>

> Does anyone know how this will work with the binaries installed to root?
>  I hope they don't expect you to run firefox as root in order to use
> this auto-update feature.

Oh of course not.  Just install it suid root and you're golden.  :p

Strictly speaking, if you're running a distro with package management,
you ought not do updates like this since it violates the whole notion of
managed packages.  Not to mention that your version may be customized
for your distro and performing the update may completely break the package.

I think that automated updates are only really useful for local installs
or systems with no package management - eg windows.  I wouldn't be
surprised if this feature is disabled in most major linux distros.

- jim.