[opensource] Meeting this Thursday

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Nov 15 00:04:19 EST 2005

THE SHORT VERSION: Meeting this Thursday, 11/18 at 7:00PM in DL480.
Anthony will be leading a discussion on Asterisk
(http://www.asterisk.org/) the open source PBX.

THE LONG VERSION:

At our last meeting the group decided that we'd like to start meeting
every week rather than every two weeks as we have been.  We combined our
schedules and decided that alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:00 PM
both days is what's going to work best for most people and it will give
people who can't make Tuesdays a chance to come.

Here are the meetings we have scheduled so far:

Thu.  11/18  7:00PM  DL480 (Dreese Labs, Room 480)
Tue.  11/22  7:00PM  DL480
Thu.  12/01  7:00PM  DL480

We also discussed what the format of our meetings should be.  So far
we've generally been starting with intros and administrative stuff and
then moving on to some guided open-source discussions.  This format has
been working really well and we have decided to continue with this same
pattern.  So, at each meeting, we will have a discussion leader who will
be decided ahead of time.  This person will come prepared to lead the
group in a discussion of some open source related topic.  This can be as
informal or formal as each discussion leader would like.  It can be
anything from "This week in Slashdot" to a full presentation with slides
and the works (visual aids are completely optional).  The topic can
either be announced ahead of time or done ad-hoc.  We can sit barefoot
and cross-legged in a circle on the floor or up in the stands in 480.
Basically the floor is yours.

The idea is not to freak people out with presentations - we want this to
be very low stress.  Our goal here is to give the meetings some fresh
content and to give everybody a chance to talk about the topics that
interest them.  I'd like to see everyone take a shot at this and I am
hoping that it will be lots of fun!

Anthony has graciously volunteered to get the ball rolling with a
discussion of Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/), an open source PBX
system at this Thursday's meeting.  Look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
- Jim.