[opensource] Student programming project at OSU - Anyone interested?

Brian Dittmer dittmer.6 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 15 20:14:32 EST 2005

Nice idea but is a linux client really necessary?  I'm sure for the
majority of us that use linux as not only a desktop OS but server OS
managing files remotely is fairly trivial.  Subversion, cvs, rsync over
ssh, sftp or there's a slew of php file management tools out there you
can install on your machine...plus I'm sure I'm missing a dozen other
solutions available.  I'm afraid to hit freshmeat.

NOW a suggestion -- if you really want to simplify your life consider
using Java and Swing to write your app.  While throwing my personal
disdain aside for GCJ and Classpath, you can now compile Java apps
natively for Linux (this is however blasphemy, there's perfectly good
JVMs from both ibm and sun for both ppc and x86 architectures) and as I
understand it the Swing support is quite good.  You'd save a lot of time
this way...I think...my knowledge of the .NET framework is limited but
last I heard mono isn't quite there yet (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway those are my two cents, I wish you luck on your project and have
fun doing it!

-Brian