[opensource] Student programming project at OSU - Anyone interested?

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Nov 16 13:11:12 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 01:14 +0000, Brian Dittmer wrote:

> Nice idea but is a linux client really necessary?
The Linux client is merely a way to auto-sync stuff as needed instead of
say using a cronjob. It's also a way to let the user know if something
has gone wrong (or something else that needs user attention).

> NOW a suggestion -- if you really want to simplify your life consider
> using Java and Swing to write your app.  While throwing my personal
> disdain aside for GCJ and Classpath, you can now compile Java apps
> natively for Linux (this is however blasphemy, there's perfectly good
> JVMs from both ibm and sun for both ppc and x86 architectures) and as I
> understand it the Swing support is quite good.  You'd save a lot of time
> this way...I think...my knowledge of the .NET framework is limited but
> last I heard mono isn't quite there yet (correct me if I'm wrong).
Mono has come quite a long way, it runs on Win/Mac/Linux, we don't have
to worry about JVM inconsistency (Mostly anyways), and the most
compelling feature is that it's really easy to run an ASP.NET server
that's self-contained, doesn't need user setup, and is generally
pain-free. Think of the use of ASP.NET in this case kind of like SQLite
is for relational databases; small, simple, maintenance-free. IMO, .NET
also has a better native interface (although I haven't explored JNI very
thoroughly)