[opensource] Re: ntSig Event Tonight

Michael Haig haig.1 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 27 19:40:55 EDT 2005

To be honest, I'm kind of shocked by these responses.  I've been active
in ntSig (officially the "Treasurer" last year) and a while ago I was
active in Open Source.  I remember when officers from Open Source were
very active members in ntSig.

To clear up something, ntSig has been labeled as the "Microsoft" club
but we're not just that.  The president has historically been a Student
Ambassador, but nothing says the president has to be an SA.  Plus, the
SA dosn't even work for Microsoft!  They work for another company which
is just able to distribute some Microsoft products.  Most of the
material we get are books which are not always from Microsoft.

Plus, lots of us run open source (or non microsoft) software.  I've run
linux for years, one of the major presenters last year ran BSD
excluvilsy, the vice president last year used macs only (I believe he
used eclipse for all the code demonstrations).  The club also worked
very hard to actually teach a class on C# in which they even promoted
the use of Mono if wanted (I gave the presentation on setting up Mono
and running ASP.NET applications through apache/mo_mono).

I mostly wanted to clear up the "Microsoft" club image, the club is "new
technologies Special interest group".

Probably the only ntSig supporter, didn't mean to add fuel to the fire.

Michael Haig