[opensource] Re: ntSig Event Tonight

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Thu Oct 27 20:59:50 EDT 2005

Jim Dinan <dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu> writes:

(snip)
> There is a fine line to be walked between being pro- Open Source and
> anti- Microsoft.

(snip)

> Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on this.  I'd like to hear how
> the rest of the group feels.  Isaac, Nick, et al. I know you're out
> there somewhere too.  :)

I've always found the ntsig members to be very friendly and sincere.
We often talked about doing co-events with them like programming
contests or something, but never really got around to it.  I was
pretty disappointed when The Lantern published an article that painted
us as an anti-microsoft club.  We were/are a pro-opensource club and I
think that's where our focus should be.  We don't define ourselves by
microsoft, even in the negative sense.  OTOH, I never use their
products (of course, I have to buy them anyway).

As a rule, I have discouraged posting stuff to the list that's
unrelated to opensource, especially from recruiters.  That's a matter
of focus; this isn't a generic computer club, it's the opensource
club.

peace,

  isaac