[opensource] Re: ntSig Event Tonight

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Oct 31 16:13:35 EST 2005

Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> Ross Litscher wrote:
>
>> Jim Dinan wrote:
>>
>>> your machine to work.  I'm guilty too - WoW only runs in Windows
>>> (although I do cringe every time I see that bootup screen on my
>>

>> (off-topic)
>>
>> For what it's worth, WoW does work fine under Cedega (typical ATI
>> Linux driver issues aside)
>

> <flame>
>
> Blasphemy!!  Cedega isn't open source!  You're a failure as a linux user
> and should be booted from our (purist) group!  I don't care what
> problems _you_ have, wine -opengl works great for _me_.
>
> Oh, and  for wow with wine, check this out:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-246098.html
>
> </flame>
>
> :p

lol, yeah, this is why I didn't use Cedega - <whisper> Windows XP is
free through MSDNAA </whisper> and I am a cheap bastard.  ;)

I did get WoW running under a CVS snapshot from Wine's APT server but
after a whole night messing around with it, I was still not able to get
the mouse working properly (probably the same issue - I couldn't talk to
anyone).

So now that you all know my dirty little secret, here's something weird.
  Every time I reboot into XP it munges the active flag in my partition
table and sets it to the XP partition, which makes the machine no longer
see the GRUB bootloader.  Of course, their disk management tool only
lets you flag 'recognized' partition types as bootable so I have to use
diskpart from the console to fix this.  "select disk 0; select partition
1; active; exit;"

Anybody ever heard of this happening before?  Is there some registry key
HKEY.LocalMachine.DontMungeMyDamnPartitionTable = 1 that I can set?

I thought I had installed GRUB in the MBR so this really shouldn't be
happening but maybe I was mislead.  I'm still kind of a GRUB n00b.  LILO
makes much more sense to me.  How can I check where GRUB is installed?

- jim.

PS- Ok.  The mouse thing appears to have a workaround here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_and_update_World_Of_Warcraft_with_wine#Can_not_interact_with_NPCs.2C_PCs_or_other_objects_in_the_game.2C_but_UI_works_fine_.28.22mouse_bug.22.29
Maybe it's time for me to revisit this and finally dd /dev/urandom onto
my windows partition once and for all.  :)