[opensource] Linux 2.6.14 Released
dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Oct 31 16:33:47 EST 2005
After a couple months of waiting, the new 2.6.14 kernel is out! For
those who were struggling with support for Centrino wireless chipsets,
2.6.14 includes support for the Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 and 2200
chipsets. Some of the other highlights include:
- Support for Plan 9's 9P distributed filesystem protocol.
- FUSE user-land filesystem server support (is it time to revisit the
Monolithic vs. Microkernel argument??)
- HostAP allows your machine to act as a wireless access point
- Netlink connector userspace <-> kernelspace communication module
- SecurityFS - for security monitoring apps
- PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) support (think MS VPN)
- 4-level page table support for PPC64
- DCCP: "Datagram Congestion Control Protocol"
For more info, kernelnewbies.org has a great "comprehensible changelog"
More information about the Opensource