[opensource] Help needed making a transcript of an important historical recording

Matt Curtin cmcurtin at interhack.net
Tue Sep 20 22:19:25 EDT 2005

In 1977, the United States Department of Commerce issued a standard
for data encryption.  During the time of standardization, there was
some argument, notably from Whitfield Diffie and Martin Hellman (both
of Stanford), that at fifty-six bits, the standard was too weak.

In 1997, the standard was still in place, and it was broken by a
massive Internet computing project called DESCHALL, coordinated by
Rocke Verser, Matt Curtin, and OSU CIS graduate student Justin Dolske.
Earlier this year, my book of this project's story was published.  I
maintain a Web page with details on the book at
http://ergo-sum.us/brute-force/.  A review of the book was recently
posted to Slashdot by OSU graduate Isaac Jones, the Opensource Club's
original president.

Here's where your help to preserve some important history is needed.
It turns out that a recording was made of a meeting between some of
the Stanford cryptographers and government officials from NBS and NSA,
debating the strength of the standard.  It's a big MP3 file right now;
the link to the recording is available at the site listed above.  What
we really need is a transcript.  If you're willing to listen to this
recording and to transcribe all or some of this, please do so and send
the text either to John Gilmore or me so that we can be sure to make
it available for all to read.

Thanks!

--
Matt Curtin,  author of  Brute Force: Cracking the Data Encryption Standard
Founder of Interhack Corporation  +1 614 545 4225 http://web.interhack.com/