[opensource] An Interesting Language

Stephen Sebeny sebeny at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 11 00:30:39 EDT 2006

Hi All,

     I just stumbled across a language that I hadn't heard of before
called Io. It seems pretty interesting because it seems to incorporate a
lot of different paradigms yet remain fairly small/simple. Here is the
two-sentence description of Io.

"Io is a small, prototype-based programming language. The ideas in Io
are mostly inspired by Smalltalk (all values are objects), Self
(prototype-based), NewtonScript (differential inheritance), Act1 (actors
and futures for concurrency), LISP (code is a runtime
inspectable/modifiable tree) and Lua (small, embeddable)."

     I just thought I'd mention it as the "language people" might find
it interesting. More info on Io can be found at:

http://www.iolanguage.com

     Enjoy.

-----
Stephen M. Sebeny