[opensource] Open Source Licence Challange

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Wed Apr 19 17:36:24 EDT 2006

Greetings Ladies, Gentlemen and Artificial Intelligences...

I am Jim Stapleton, a recent OSU graduate, who unfortunately never knew
about this club until I after graduation, when a still-undergrad friend told
me of it.

With that introduction done, I have an idea for all of you, for a little
fun, mental exercise, community building, and what open source is all about;
giving to the world.

I propose the Open Source License Challenge, wherein we discuss the various
open source licenses, their pros, cons, and maybe, just maybe, create the
best open source license ever, the OSU License!

To start the thoughts, I'll give you mine on a couple of licenses

BSD/MIT
I've always like the BSD/MIT licenses, they are truly free licenses,
granting the user a carte-blanche (sp?) to do what they want with the
software. Really, the only thing prohibited by the BSD/MIT license is use of
the author names as product endorsement.

  PRO: Truly free, very open and friendly to any person or group
  CON: Commercial organizations, and even non-commercial organizations, can
use software under this license, if it is the only one used, make money off
of it, and not provide a fair share/compensation to the developers for their
work.

GPL/LGPL
These two licenses, are related, but, in my opinion, still vastly
difference. I have trouble considering the GPL to be anything but the
Benedict Arnold of the free software licenses. Sure it claims to be "free
software", but it provides so many restrictions, that there are closed
source software licenses that give you more freedom. Not only that but the
GPL is somewhat viral, infecting software that uses GPLed software. The LGPL
allows for many use of software, without requiring it be placed on the
software that is using an LGPLed library.

GPL
  PRO: Highly preventative of abusive use of the library/software for 3rd
party financial gain or use.
  CON: Not flexible, rather restrictive, not as friendly for commercial
software (however commercial support works well)
LGPL:
  PRO: Friendly for a wide variety of uses than the regular GPL, rather well
balanced, etc.
  CON: Still somewhat restrictive, though not horribly, can still be abused
by people who want to make money off of someone else's work.

The challenge: A "UNIX" themed license template, allowing for flexibility
and a wide variety of uses - keeping the advantages of many licenses, and
mending the drawbacks. How does one make a "UNIX" themed license? Well the
UNIX style of doing things is to have a lot of little applications that can
be glued together with a little digital-glue to make applications to do
other tasks. This license would be a glue to hold together several licenses
to help provide a more flexible and friendly license for all parties. I was
thinking of something setup similar to a "switch" statement - many cases for
various users, and a default for everyone else, but that would not be
required. A context free grammar for the license would be interesting as
well...

Even if you aren't interested in the challenge, a discussion on the merits
and problems of each license would be interesting.

Have fun,
-Jim