[opensource] Open Source Licence Challange

Daniel McEnnis daniel.mcennis at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 19 17:55:47 EDT 2006

OSUOSS,

I've been lurking on the list for a while.  I was a member of OSUOSS 4
some years ago when I was at OSU for my undergrad.  (I'm currently
finishing a masters at McGill in Montreal, Canada).  As someone who has
released a few projects under opensource licenses, talking about the
'best' license is not really productive.  Each license serves a
particular purpose.  If your interest is in the greatest use of your
code, then licenses like public domain, BSD, or MIT are useful.  If your
interest is in building a really good library that you want as many
people as possible to use, but you don't want anyone freeloading off
your work to create a rival proprietary library, LGPL is quite useful.
If your interest is making sure no one can free load off your
application at all, GPL is a good choice. (Ironically, GPL is the most
buisness friendly: it allows a company to opensource technologies while
preventing any other company from folding their product back into a
competing proprietary product.)  Picking a 'best' license is a good
topic for a flame war, but it really doesn't serve a useful purpose.
There are just too many different reasons to opensource something.

Daniel McEnnis.