[opensource] Server at OSU

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 27 12:19:19 EDT 2006

I would like to demo Captive -- which gives you full read/write access to
NTFS drives in linux -- at our meeting tonight.  Also on display will
be Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 beta, to see if it has any new exciting features
or bugs worked out as it edges closer to "linux for everyone".

Full description of Captive is ...
---snip--- (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/)

Project implements the first full read/write free access to NTFS disk
drives. You can mount your Microsoft Windows NT, 200x or XP partition as a
transparently accessible volume for your GNU/Linux.

This compatibility was achieved in the Wine <http://www.winehq.com/> way by
using the original Microsoft Windows *ntfs.sys* driver. It emulates the
required subsystems of the Microsoft Windows kernel by reusing one of the
original *ntoskrnl.exe*, ReactOS <http://www.reactos.com/> parts, or this
project's own reimplementations, on a case by case basis. Project includes
the first open source MS-Windows kernel API for Free operating systems.
Involvement of the original driver files was chosen to achieve the best and
unprecedented filesystem compatibility and safety.

As opposed to other projects this is currently the only software supporting
the full read/write access including the possibility to create/delete files,
modify directories etc.