[opensource] Filesystem interface to MySQL?

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Aug 22 12:14:44 EDT 2006

Drew Yates wrote:
> So, for example, if I need to select some query, I could write something
> like:
>
> /localhost/mysql/user/pass/connection/database/"SELECT nukulor FROM
> xplozons WHERE awesome = 'probably';"
>
> and what is returned to me is a "file" that I can work with in the same
> way as any other file.

Hey there Drew,

Awful quiet round these parts lately...

So, my question is: can you really map all of the features of mySQL onto
the standard filesystem interface?  I don't know for sure since I'm not
a MySQL expert but I suspect that there may be some features can't be
(cleanly) supported in this way.  For example, how would you handle
accessing the different attributes inside each record and how would you
support updates to the records?

I suppose you could map each record to a directory with files
corresponding to each attribute.  Come to think of it that would be a
pretty interesting way of interacting with the database..

Ok!  A google search turned up http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlfs/
which looks like it might do something like that by allowing you to
mount a database into the filesystem.  Now, is anybody brave enough to
try it??  :)

 - jim.

Graduate RA - Computer Science and Engineering
              The Ohio State University