[opensource] Welcome Back!

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 27 10:33:40 EDT 2006

Hello all, I hope everyone had a great summer and is ready for the next
quarter of the Opensource Club to begin!

We have a couple of important events occurring within the first few weeks of
the quarter I'd like to talk a bit about, since they are new and exciting.

The Opensource Club will be taking part in the Student Involvement Fair on
September 18th. We will have a table in the Technology section of the fair.
The Student Involvement Fair will be held from 12:00 noon to 4:00pm on the
Oval and will include dozens of student organizations and thousands of
attendees. This is a great chance to advertise ourselves to the incoming
freshmen class and to all students of Ohio State.

Then on September 30th is Ohio LinuxFest 2006! LinuxFest will be held at the
Greater Columbus Convention Center in downtown Columbus. We are also proudly
taking part in this event, with a table of our own. There will speakers,
vendor and community exhibits, and plenty of swag. Information can be found
on the Ohio LinuxFest website <http://www.ohiolinux.org/>, and more will be
added to the site soon. This is a chance to show the greater community our
spirit and resolve to be a great community player.

Both events are completely free to attend, but it should be noted that Ohio
LinuxFest requires all attendees to
register<http://www.ohiolinux.org/attend.html>by September 22.
LinuxFest is offering an All Conference Pass for $65.00,
which is completely optional, and includes several perks, all detailed on
the attendance page <http://www.ohiolinux.org/attend.html>. We will be
organizing a group of attendees once the date draws closer.

I will send out more detailed e-mails about each event as they draw nearer.

Now, we are currently in the planning stages, but one thing we would like to
give away at both events is a flier detailing ourselves and listing at least
our first five or six meetings of the quarter.  For this, we need speakers.
I'd like to ask for five speakers to offer to give presentations for the
first few meetings of the quarter. We want to show anyone interested in our
organization that we are alive, kicking, and in full-swing for the
up-and-coming year.

This year we will be continuing in the alternating Tuesday/Thursday at
7:00pm format that we used last year, since it seemed to work well for most
people. If it turns out to not be the best way to continue, we can discuss
alternate ideas. Barring any problems, here is my tentative schedule of
meeting dates:

Monday 9/18: Student Involvement Fair
Thursday 9/21: Welcome Back with Alex!
Tuesday 9/26: Speaker needed
Saturday 9/30: Ohio LinuxFest 2006
Thursday 10/5: Speaker needed
Tuesday 10/10: Speaker needed
Thursday 10/19: Speaker needed
Tuesday 10/24: Speaker needed

If anyone is interested in speaking during those dates, feel free to contact
me at lingo.13 at osu.edu or by replying to this topic.

I am looking forward to seeing the Opensource Club as strong as ever in the
coming months, and these two events are a good way to start upon that road.

-- Alex