[opensource] Anyone bought an ATI HDCP card?

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Feb 17 18:56:01 EST 2006

Matt Curtin wrote:
> If any of you guys got an ATI card thinking it had HDCP but that
> turned out not to have it, throw me an email message.

For those as clueless as me :) ...

From: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/

--- snip ---

What is HDCP?

HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and is an
Intel-initiated program that was developed with Silicon Image. This
content protection system is mandatory for high-definition playback of
HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs. If you want to watch movies at 1980x1080, your
system will need to support HDCP. If you don’t have HDCP support, you’ll
only get a quarter of the resolution. A 75% loss in pixel density is a
pretty big deal – Wouldn’t you be angry if your car was advertised as
doing 16 mpg, and you only got 4 mpg? Or if you bought a 2 GHz CPU and
found out that it only ran at 500 MHz?

GPU Support for HDCP

Although ATI has had “HDCP support” in their GPUs since the Radeon 8500,
and NVIDIA has had “HDCP support” in their GPUs since the GeForce
FX5700, it turns out that things are more complicated -- just because
the GPU itself supports HDCP doesn’t mean that the graphics card can
output a DVI/HDCP compliant stream. There needs to be additional support
at the board level, which includes licensing the HDCP decoding keys from
the Digital Content Protection, LLC (a spin-off corporation within the
walls of Intel).