[opensource] Lunchbunch! Grad Student Presentation

T Cramer cramer.85 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 20 18:55:40 EST 2006

BARRIER COVERAGE WITH WIRELESS SENSORS

Santosh Kumar
Advisor: Ten-Hwang (Steve) Lai

11:30am; Weds., Feb.
480 Dreese Labs
Pizza lunch will be served.

Abstract:
Wireless sensors can be deployed to guard international borders or even
the perimeter of a private property. When a wireless sensor network is
deployed to detect objects penetrating a protected region, it is not
necessary to have every point in the deployment region covered by a
sensor. It is enough if the penetrating objects are detected at some
point(s) in their trajectory. If a sensor network guarantees that every
penetrating object will be detected by at least k distinct sensors
before it crosses the barrier of wireless sensors, we say the network
provides k-barrier coverage.

Now, consider the following problem: Since sensors will typically be
deployed outdoors, some may fail due to factors beyond human control. In
that case, a deployed sensor network may fail to provide k-barrier
coverage over time. How to determine if a deployed sensor network still
provides k-barrier coverage? I will present an efficient algorithm to
solve this problem.

Another interesting problem is to find a deployment pattern that uses
the least number of sensors to provide k-barrier coverage. I will
present an optimal deployment pattern for achieving k-barrier coverage.
Note that the analogous problem of finding an optimal deployment
pattern, if we need every point in the deployment region to be
k-covered, is still an open problem.

I will discuss several other interesting problems associated with
k-barrier coverage, including the problem of how to determine the
minimum number of sensors needed to achieve k-barrier coverage with high
probability, when sensors are deployed randomly. I will conclude the
talk with a brief discussion of some interesting problems associated
with coverage issues in wireless sensor networks, in general.