[opensource] Tuesday

Stephen Sebeny sebeny.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 22 13:59:01 EST 2006

on 2/21/06 6:15 PM, Paul Betts at bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu wrote:

> If you guys want, I can also (briefly) demo the new Xgl X server
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xgl), at least until fglrx commits suicide
> which is usually in roughly 5 minutes after starting Xgl. It's pretty
> impressive actually.

Hmm,

<Mac User Rant>
    Can you say Mac OS X fast user switching effect rip-off?
</Mac User Rant>

    For those interested in this kind of thing, at ADHOC (Advanced
Developer's Hands-On Conference, formerly MacHack) in 2005 Adam Goldstein
created a version of this called CubeDetach. It made the rotating
screen-cube an actual cube that could be rotated at will rather than the
built-in OS X effect which only does the rotation right to left. It was
pretty impressive, especially for a 48 hour hack, and I think the source may
be floating around the internet if you look.

-----
Stephen M. Sebeny
sebeny.1 at osu.edu