[opensource] Anyone bought an ATI HDCP card?

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:52:52 EST 2006

Matt Curtin wrote:
> If any of you guys got an ATI card thinking it had HDCP but that
> turned out not to have it, throw me an email message.

Prepared to be outraged?

Slashdot today: "HD DVD to Screw Early HDTV Adopters"

----

Apparently the folks who designed the Advanced Access Content System
(AACS)for the new HD DVD formats have decided to stick it to the early
HDTV adopters. If your set used the older component video, expect to
watch your new HD DVD at a quarter of the resolutions. To thwart piracy
of course." From the article: "AACS says the new players won't output a
full-HD signal from their component-video connections, since those jacks
are analog instead of digital and thus have no copy protection. The
'down-rezzed' signals will be limited to a resolution of 960 x 540
pixels -- exactly one-quarter the 1,920 x 1,080 pixels that you'll get
through the copy-protected digital connectors on the players. The
potentially huge problem with this strategy is that the only HD inputs
on a lot of older HDTVs are component video.

Full Article:
http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/early_hdtv_adopters_screwed_by_hddisc_rules.html

Graduate RA - Computer Science and Engineering
               The Ohio State University