[opensource] Winter Involvement Fair

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jan 1 18:57:57 EST 2006

Alexander J. Lingo wrote:

> Yes. The Ubuntu Live CD contains Windows versions of software such as
> Gaim, OO.O, and The Gimp along with some open source Windows screensavers.
>
> Does anyone know if the PPC/Mac version comes with Mac software?

There's no mention of it on the CD jacket.  On the 32 and 64 bit PC
editions, the live CD contains Windows stuff.

> Beyond having CD's available, what else can we do? We should have a demo
> box or two set up showing some of common computer tasks, such as playing
> video, music, instant messaging, and web browsing. We could a box with
> several different sessions, each running a different window manager,
> such as KDE, Gnome, IceWM, Enlightenment, etc.

Would anyone be comfortable bringing a laptop to use for a demo?  We
would of course be very protective of it and never leave it unattended.
  Even if we were to lug one of our boxes over, those things are pretty
ancient - we'd look more like the computer history club.

> Also, we could get a banner. I remember seeing something about CS&E
> groups or students being able to have banners printed for free. I could
> be wrong however.

Yes, we do have access to an oversize printer in the SOC lab.  Anyone
interested in putting together a poster??

- jim.