[opensource] Winter Involvement Fair

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jan 1 19:26:47 EST 2006

> Beyond having CD's available, what else can we do? We should have a
> demo box or two set up showing some of common computer tasks, such as
> playing video, music, instant messaging, and web browsing. We could a
> box with several different sessions, each running a different window
> manager, such as KDE, Gnome, IceWM, Enlightenment, etc.
People are usually pretty impressed with AmaroK's ability to copy stuff
to and from iPods without restriction. F-Spot is usually pretty
impressive as well, and Filelight makes some pretty pictures, as well as
demoing opening a PDF in less than 10 minutes because we don't use
crappy Adobe Acrobat. KDevelop is a pretty capable IDE that we can show
to the programmer people.

> We should also show off advanced things such as SuperKaramba and
> Konqueror as well. (Anyone of you tried audiocd:/ in Konqueror before?
> Prepare to change your pants.)
I have indeed, it's a fairly clever use of the KIO framework (although
in my opinion it's a little over the top)

-- Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>