[opensource] minutes

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jan 9 14:28:09 EST 2006

a.lathrop wrote:
> Here are the minutes from last night's meeting...

Here is a link to the Richard Stallman interview we were looking at:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=13&ItemID=9350

Stallman describes four freedoms that should be guaranteed to all
computers users:

"Freedom 0 is the freedom to run the software as you wish. Freedom 1 is
the freedom to study and change the source code as you wish. Freedom 2
is the freedom to copy and distribute the software as you wish. And
freedom 3 is the freedom to create and distribute modified versions as
you wish. With these four freedoms, users have full control of their own
computers, and can use their computers to cooperate in a community.
Freedoms 0 and 2 directly benefit all users, since all users can
exercise them. Freedoms 1 and 3, only programmers can directly exercise,
but everyone benefits from them, because everyone can adopt (or not) the
changes that programmers make. Thus, free software develops under the
control of its users."

I (attempted - I must admit, I'm not much of a public speaker) addressed
these freedoms in the context of:

- Personal Privacy
   ! Adware, Spyware, Malware
- Computer Security
- Fair Use
   ! DRM and Treacherous Computing
   . Re: (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html)
- Freedom of Information
   . Storage formats for public records
- Freedom of Interoperability
   ! Freedom from Vendor Lock-In
- Extendability and Customizability

We discussed how OpenSource and Free software (be it for Linux, Mac, or
Windows) provide an alternative to users that ensures the protection
these Freedoms.  One example we cited was the Firefox web browser which
- when compared with other proprietary browsers - provides a higher
commitment to personal privacy and greater degree of customizability.

Hope to see you all tomorrow!
- jim.