[opensource] Volunter for Potential Talks

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Wed Jan 18 18:56:16 EST 2006

Hi Bill,

William Triest wrote:

 > Also, I've thought of some possible talk topics that I could be
> qualified to give.  I took an independant study based on "network
> security" primarily focusing on encryption (symetric key/ public private
   [...]

> Introduction to Encryption
> Symetric key Encryption
> Hashes (what they are, and mention two standards md5 and sha1)
> Public / Private Key encrytpion (focusing on what signatures are
> compared to encryption)
   [...]

I'd be particularly interested in this talk.  I'd also be interested in
learning how these specific encryption algorithms are integrated with
protocols such as IPSEC, PPTP, CHAP, WEP, and WAP (for wireless).

> Basic Linux/*nix security
> Start out with basic things like why running as root is bad (and talk
> about su and sudo)
   [...]

This stuff would be less interesting to me, but it may interest others.

In any case, let me know if you plan to give a talk so I can be there?

It's great to see the group active again. :)