[opensource] articles

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jan 21 19:08:46 EST 2006

Drew Yates wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Hey, could you send me those article links? Thanks!
>
> Great event last night!

Indeed!  A big thanks to ntSig for putting on an awesome movie night!
"Pirates of Silicon Valley" followed by "Revolution OS" and more pizza
than you could shake a stick at!

That reminds me - there is a paper that I've been meaning to post on the
mailing list for a little while.  It is from the 2003 Linux Symposium in
Ottowa:

"udev --­ A Userspace Implementation of devfs" by Greg Kroah-Hartman at IBM.

The abstract reads as follows:

"Starting with the 2.5 kernel, all physical
and virtual devices in a system are visible
to userspace in a hierarchal fashion through
sysfs. /sbin/hotplug provides a noti-
fication to userspace when any device is added
or removed from the system. Using these two
features, a userspace implementation of a dy-
namic /dev is now possible that can provide a
very flexible device naming policy. ..."

Cheers,
- jim.