[opensource] Idea for event: hacking on the Oval

Mark T.B. Carroll Mark.Carroll at Aetion.com
Sun Jun 11 11:25:26 EDT 2006

I only have experience of BSDs as a user, not an admin, but:

Steven James Samuel Stapleton <stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu> writes:
(snip)
> As an example; after 3+ years of running Linux on various systems, I've still
> had to do the "Windows Administrator" reinstall-the-os fix for many
> problems.

I've had to do that with Linux once or twice in over a decade of running
it on multiple systems both at home and at work. I've only ever run
Debian, though, usually stable or frozen/testing, so I don't know if
that has anything to do with it? (I can't tell by consulting my friends,
because they all run Debian too.) Not having to reinstall every couple
of years is for me of Linux's big advantages (over Windows). Mind you, I
try to avoid installing piles of random silly stuff - some of the
Windows users I help to look after are, I suspect, somewhat hampered by
having installed myriad trivial software of diverse provenance that
cumulatively screws things up.

I find it quite plausible that I've avoided some reinstalls by knowing
enough to not be hampered by poor documentation, though - I can't say
that I wouldn't have been reinstalling much more frequently if I'd been
coming at it as a novice. Much of my early Debian/Linux/Unix knowledge
came orally, not from documentation.

(snip)
> OK, after that long winded demonstration of my thoughts, my main point is,
> that, for the perspective of a "normal" user, and not a tech-savant, we might
> be better off promoting both FreeBSD and Linux, to give them more options, in
> case one or the other scares them off.
(snip)

Certainly the BSDs are important and useful. I suspect that they should
be promoted just as much as Linux if there are actually knowledgeable
people on hand to help people out if they run into problems following
such advice.

-- Mark