[opensource] Re: Opensource Digest, Vol 16, Issue 10

Drew Yates yates at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jun 11 13:25:22 EDT 2006

While I'm 100% for encouraging alternatives and somewhat less enthusiastic
about regularly trying a new operating systems (though willing), this idea
that operating system is anything more that a zero sum game to common users
is silly.

Most users don't care at all about their OS. They just want their computer
to run XYZ applications without hassle.

Think politics. On one side, half of Americans (conservatives) all support
candidate X. The other half (liberals) instead offer many candidates. Guess
who is going to win the election? Even if candidate X is a lying, corrupt
idiot, he'll still win. And "winning" the OS means commercial application
and driver support.

So. While FreeBSD I'm sure has its strengths, I strongly endorse the
distribution and evagelization of only Ubuntu for the hack-the-oval event.
Introduce alternatives when they've already installed Ubuntu and are
attending OSC meetings.

-Drew