[opensource] Support Network Neutrality!

Nick Hurley hurley at todesschaf.org
Mon Jun 12 09:17:36 EDT 2006

On 12 Jun 2006, at 03:22, Jim Dinan wrote:
> Nick Hurley wrote:
>
>> Basically, what's happening here, is that the ISPs are segmenting
>> the  internet so that they can make more money. They all win,
>> because the  big money content providers won't be cool with their
>> traffic going  slower, so they'll pony up the bucks.
>>

> So, is there something out there right now that prevents ISPs from
> already doing this?

In terms of technology? No. In terms of law, it's more vague, but
basically yes. I don't even understand it myself, but while there
isn't really a law, they know that the FCC will jump down their
throats if they do anything like that, unless 5252 passes the senate,
which I have been hearing conflicting reports on the likelihood of.

>> Oh, and let's not forget the other provision of HR 5252, making
>> ISPs  into national franchises, similar to what happened with the
>> gasoline  industry some years ago.
>>

> Sounds like a creative way to kill off the CLECs (http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLEC) and undo all of the good things that
> were done when Ma Bell was fragmented.  Of course they
> strategically introduced the bill during finals to try and slip it
> by us college students.  ;)

Pretty much, yeah. The whole internet situation is a mess with
congress. While I don't think that congress should be regulating the
internet, I also think that, given the artificial monopoly congress
has created, they need to do something to keep the ISPs from going
out of control.

(I accidentally replied to Jim personally on this one 'cause I saw it
in my inbox first, then saw this in my opensource folder, and
expanded on my reply here.)
--
Peace,
   Nick

    "My ethicator machine must've had a built-in moral compromise
    spectral release phantasmatron! I'm a genius!"  --- Calvin