[opensource] kernel sources

a.lathrop lathrop at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jun 13 21:33:19 EDT 2006

So I was just wondering, what's the difference between the
gentoo-sources and vanilla-sources packages in Gentoo Linux?  Now, I
know that the gentoo-sources kernel has been patched by the gentoo team,
but I can't figure out where to go to actually find out what all the
differences are between the sources (without diff'ing the entire thing I
guess).

Also, when one is running something like Ubuntu/Debian or another distro
where people have the sense to use binaries (I unfortunately do not have
this kind of common sense), How can you tell what you have available in
your pre-compiled kernel?  Does the kernel-dev package (or whatever it's
called) come with all of the stuff enabled that the regular binary
kernel does? (does that make sense?)

Please help satisfy my morbid curiosity.

--
Andy Lathrop <lathrop at cse.ohio-state.edu>

The journey is the reward - Lao Tzu