[opensource] kernel sources

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jun 14 02:00:59 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 21:33 -0400, a.lathrop wrote:
> So I was just wondering, what's the difference between the
> gentoo-sources and vanilla-sources packages in Gentoo Linux?

emerge -f gentoo-sources && cd /usr/portage/distfiles && ls . | grep
'patches'

> Also, when one is running something like Ubuntu/Debian or another distro
> where people have the sense to use binaries (I unfortunately do not have
> this kind of common sense), How can you tell what you have available in
> your pre-compiled kernel?  Does the kernel-dev package (or whatever it's
> called) come with all of the stuff enabled that the regular binary
> kernel does? (does that make sense?)

gzcat /proc/config.gz

Ubuntu compiles everything it possibly can as modules though, so usually
whether something is supported is a matter of finding its module
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`.

--
Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>