[opensource] The Plan: Neophyte Workshops

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Mar 4 23:52:37 EST 2006

Hi Everyone,

First off, I'd like to thank Matt Curtin for coming to campus this past
Monday and sharing his reflections on cracking the DES.  I'd also like
to shout out a big thanks Ben for providing refreshments on behalf of
Google and Andy for that 31337 poster.  Thanks to everyone who helped to
make this event so successful!

At our brainstorming session this past Thursday, we discussed what we'd
like to plan as an organization for next quarter and we have decided to
go ahead with a series of introductory workshops.  We have discussed
holding workshops and meetings on alternating weeks, so that would make
for 5 workshops in total.  Here are the 5 proposed workshop topics we
came up with:

1. OpenSource for Windows
	- What is your windows eXPerience missing?
	- Firefox, GAIM, Thunderbird, ClamAV, Eclipse, OpenOffice, etc
	- Should be an accompanying web page where attendees can go to
	download the software introduced.

2. Intro to the Linux Desktop
	- Which distros are out there?
	- Which windows managers, desktop environments
	- Which desktop applications are available
	- Installation demo (possibly?)

3. Getting around in Unix
	- Hold this session in 280 so people can play along on STDSUN
	- Intro to the unix shell(s)
	- Unix shell commands: find, grep, sed, etc
	- Intro to unix editors: vi(m), emacs, joe, pico

4. Programming the Unix Shell

5. Developing software in the UNiX environment
	- Makefiles
	- cvs
	- gcc
	- gdb

So far we have 5 topics and 0 presenters.  This is your big chance!
Volunteer for the topic of your choice!  Remember: This is the
opensource club -- there are no rules.  You are free to tackle this
challenge in any way you choose.  You can even form a team and break
these up into tag team presentations (hey, there's this sweet mailing
list you can use to form your team!).  Not an expert in one of these
topics??  You *could* be!  The O'Reilly books are available online
through safari on the OSU library's web page.  There are also lots of
members in the opensource club who'd be happy to help you along the way.

I look forward to your feedback on the topics and to some brave
volunteers!  Please remember to "reply all" so your post makes its way
onto the list.

Regards,
- jim.