[opensource] Re: Open source project idea ...

Raffi Khatchadourian khatchad at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Mar 13 13:57:04 EST 2006

Jim Dinan wrote:
> <disclaimer>I am not a Mac user</disclaimer> but I have heard of a lot
> of people using XCode with CVS.  Does tortoise provide something that
> XCode doesn't?  Apart from the freedom from having to use XCode, that
> is.  :)

I think the point everyone is missing here is that development files are
not the only files that can be versioned. Versioning (concurrently or
not) is usefully for many types of files. Thus, if you are versioning,
for instance, a latex file it wouldn't make any sense to graphically
manage its versioning in xcode or any other IDE for that matter. This is
where a tool like tortoise comes in handy since it works with the
existing OS file browser. CVS is not only useful for development.