[opensource] Website Planning Wiki

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Wed Mar 15 14:52:22 EST 2006

"Alexander J. Lingo" <lingo.13 at osu.edu> writes:

> If you don't mind, Isaac, I copied your comment to the wiki, so as it can be
> easily found, and responded to it.
>
> The new page is here:
> http://www.freepgs.com/aev/osuoss/planningwiki/index.php/Backend_Selection

I don't mind in the least, but I think wikis are a really crappy place
for discussion.  Email lists are so much better for discussion, even
web forums, but wikis are like bad web forums.

   My rule: No Discussion on the Wiki! Keep discussion on the mailing
   list and use the wiki to document consensus and pros & cons. It is
   just fine to have conflicting points of view in a ticket or on the
   wiki, but no back-and-forth discussion (use the mailing list for
   that). Create "pros" and "cons" sections in the ticket/wik.

For an example, see the Haskell' wiki:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime

I updated the wiki page w/ this format and removed a bit of discussion.
I couldn't quite figure out the syntax for this wiki, so it needs a
little reformatting.  Feel free to refactor.

BTW, trac (seen above) is another great option, as you can have
tickets (TODO / bug tracking), assign them to people, inter-link
between tickets & source code & wiki pages.  I really like trac.

peace,

  isaac