[opensource] Re: Yet another opensource project idea ...

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Mar 17 13:13:57 EST 2006

Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
> I should also add that pdftk is a command line tool. I have not
> investigated if any library functionality exists but the Windows GUI is
> an integrated package.

There are a bunch of PDF command line tools and libraries out there.
Pdftk sounds really useful - in the past I've had good success with
pdfjam which has tools to rotate pages, join pdfs, and n-up pdfs.

There are also a TON of postscript tools (and pdf is a descendant of the
PS language) that are much better established than these PDF tools (PS
is in its 30s now I think) so every now and then it's easier to just
PDF->PS and process there.  This is the route I usually end up taking to
resize A4->Letter paper.

IMO, what's really lacking is a project that brings the functionality of
all of these tools together into a single coherent package - especially
one with a graphical interface.

One PDF tool that I personally could use is a cropping tool similar to
what you can do in Acrobat professional.  This is incredibly useful for
making Latex figures.

Graduate RA - Computer Science and Engineering
               The Ohio State University