[opensource] Workshops Poster

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Mar 29 22:22:47 EST 2006

Alexander J. Lingo wrote:
> I've made a poster advertising the upcoming workshops. A couple of things:

SWEEEEEEEET!  Thank God, I thought I was going to have to make one - and
I *suck* at making posters.  :)

> A. I think it may be too low-res, let me know what you think, I'll throw
> together a higher-res one if required.

Yes, it is definitely too low-res.  Most laser printers will print at
either 300 or 600 DPI.  If you give them something at a lower DPI they
will upsample the image to fit the specified printed dimensions (in our
case, 8.5"x11") at their target DPI.  As a rule of thumb you will want
something that is at least 150 or 200 DPI at the size you want to print
- this usually looks pretty good when printing this sort of image.

So, if you do the math, 150 DPI * (8.5" x 11") = (1275 x 1650) pixels.
Most image editing programs will just allow you to specify the
dimensions in inches as well as the DPI so you don't have to whip out
the calculator.

Another afterthought: If you've done this in something like Gimp, can
you save as a PDF so the text is not rasterized?

> B. Check my dates and copy on this.

The dates, times and rooms look good.

We'll have to double check the copy again once I send out the final
email advert tomorrow since some of the descriptions have changed
slightly.  :)

Can we sneak our URL in there somewhere?

> C. Tell me any misc. comments!

I really like your design!  What is that in the background?

Graduate RA - Computer Science and Engineering
              The Ohio State University