[opensource] Workshops Poster

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 29 22:33:25 EST 2006

On 3/29/06, Jim Dinan <dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> Alexander J. Lingo wrote:
> > I've made a poster advertising the upcoming workshops. A couple of
> things:
>
> SWEEEEEEEET!  Thank God, I thought I was going to have to make one - and
> I *suck* at making posters.  :)
>
> > A. I think it may be too low-res, let me know what you think, I'll throw
> > together a higher-res one if required.
>
> Yes, it is definitely too low-res.  Most laser printers will print at
> either 300 or 600 DPI.  If you give them something at a lower DPI they
> will upsample the image to fit the specified printed dimensions (in our
> case, 8.5"x11") at their target DPI.  As a rule of thumb you will want
> something that is at least 150 or 200 DPI at the size you want to print
> - this usually looks pretty good when printing this sort of image.
>
> So, if you do the math, 150 DPI * (8.5" x 11") = (1275 x 1650) pixels.
> Most image editing programs will just allow you to specify the
> dimensions in inches as well as the DPI so you don't have to whip out
> the calculator.

I'll scale it up. May have to change the BG, or blur it after scaling...

Another afterthought: If you've done this in something like Gimp, can
> you save as a PDF so the text is not rasterized?

If GIMP can output PDF, I will.

> B. Check my dates and copy on this.
>
> The dates, times and rooms look good.
>
> We'll have to double check the copy again once I send out the final
> email advert tomorrow since some of the descriptions have changed
> slightly.  :)

Also, in your e-mail template, you have the first talk on the 14th, not the
4th.

Can we sneak our URL in there somewhere?

Will do.

This thing: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=113114108&size=m