[opensource] A couple of ideas for projects

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Mon May 1 19:53:40 EDT 2006

> So, you asked for thoughts. Here's my $0.03...
>
> The 3d file browser has been done. There are quite a few of them out
> there. I can't remember their names off the top of my head, but I
> remember looking on freshmeat once for a 3d file browser and finding
> something like 5. Not to mention the fact that I don't know many (if  any)
> people who would be excited by a 3d filesystem browser. Maybe  the few
> people who thought that the scene in 'Jurassic Park' was a  good depiction
> of what *nix is/should be...
>
> As for the MSLE, that sounds too much like java or the CLR or a  hardware
> simulator to me. There doesn't really seem to be anything
> earth-shattering in the idea. True hardware simulators are too slow  to be
> really useful (even VirtualPC or VMWare (I've used both in  production
> settings) suck). With that sort of thing out of the way,  the JVM or CLR
> are all that's left and, while they definitely have  good points to them,
> they've been done, in both closed-source forms  (Sun's JVM, Microsoft's
> CLR) and open-source (IBM's JVM, Mono).
>
> Not that I'm trying to discourage anyone from working on these, I'm  just
> saying that I think the open source club, with all the brain  power at its
> disposal, can come up with a lot better/more  revolutionary ideas. I'd
> suggest some, but most of my good ideas  these days are used at/for work,
> where I see real problems/potential  for improvement in real software that
> real people use on a daily basis.
>
> Again, just my $0.03.

Yep it's been done, but none of them have a lot of features I found what
seems to be the best one, and even it is highly limited. I'm not saying
start from scratch, but update an existing (and discontinued project). It
woudn't enhance productivity, but it would be a fun tool, and I've found
several people who, albeit busy, liked the thought of having something like
that to play around with.

And actually, if I remember, it was the (not-free/not-open-source) software
this is a clone of that was used in Jurassic Park.

-Jim