[opensource] Bonjour (ZeroConf) Networking Talk in Cleveland

Stephen Sebeny sebeny.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 2 12:37:41 EDT 2006

Hi All,

    I just wanted to drop a quick note to this list as I thought some of you
might be interested in an upcoming talk on Bonjour or ZeroConf networking.
For those that aren't aware Bonjour (previously Rendezvous) is Apple's name
for ZeroConf, which is in turn short for Zero Configuration Networking. Its
an amalgamation of various networking concepts that allow for network
services to be discovered and used with relatively little announcement
overhead. The development of ZeroConf was spearheaded by Apple's Stuart
Cheshire in their move away from AppleTalk. For those wanting more
information check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf
http://www.zeroconf.org/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bonjour/

    The talk will be presented by Daniel Steinberg, who recently co-authored
the O'Reilly book "Zero Configuration Networking: The Definitive Guide"
(ISBN: 0-596-10100-7) along with Stuart Cheshire. Daniel is the editor of
ONJava and java.net. He's been working with Java on the Mac since it first
appeared. The talk will include an overview of the ZeroConf technology, and
also show some examples of how you can use it in your application. The talk
is being held at a meeting of Cocoaheads, a Mac software developer group, in
Cleveland. Specifically, their meetings are held at the Arabica  coffee
house on Case Western Reserve University's campus at 11300 Juniper Rd.

What: Bonjour (ZeroConf) Presentation by Daniel Steinberg
When: May 9, 2006, 7:00 PM
Where: Arabica Coffee House, CWRU Campus, 11300 Juniper Rd, Cleveland 44106

    The Cocoaheads group is rather new, and the meetings I've attended have
been small, informal, yet have led to great discussions. I expect this to
continue that pattern. If you have any interest in Bonjour or ZeroConf
consider attending.

-----
Stephen M. Sebeny
sebeny.1 at osu.edu