[opensource] Thanks for the great presentation tonight

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Wed May 3 05:11:21 EDT 2006

> Yes, I liked this presentation quite a bit.  Sure, some of it was stuff I already knew,
> but just learning about cut made it all worth it.  I haven't been using linux so long
> that I've learned very well all of the coreutils and before today I was wrestling with
> the idea of learning awk and sed to do exactly the kinds of things cut does.

Yeah, I learned about cut at work, highly useful in my current field.

Funny, I suggested we should just toss everyone in the deep end and let 'em sink or swim with "Stupid tricks with 'dd' and 'sed'"

as for a backquote (`), I wish I could have stayed long enough to see that explinations, it's an unshifted tilde (~), which is to the left of the 1.

-Jim