[opensource] Need the name of some tools: drive/folder synchronizing

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 4 08:34:32 EDT 2006

I want to synchronize folders between two of my machines, one is Windows,
one is BSD.

The folders are large (~10GB data total between all of them) and my computer
seems to have a problem of one erroneous bit/byte out of every 5 (est.) by
previous file errors.

Lately I've been manually doing this via md5deep'ing the directory, copying
and then doing an md5deep verify on the copied directory. However, I'd like
to just have a cron job, that every four hours, would synch the mount point
and the local directory on the BSD machine. Any new files will be copied to
the one lacking the files, and if the machines each had copies of two files
with the same relative path/name to a base directory, whose checksums did
not match, it would copy the newer file over the older file (after verifying
the checksums not matching wasn't due to read/write error).

anyone know of any good utilities for that?

Thanks,
-Jim