[opensource] Need the name of some tools: drive/folder synchronizing

paul c betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 4 13:21:57 EDT 2006

I'd use Unison instead, making rsync bidirectional is tricky at best. The
main problem is, if you change one file on PC A and one file on PC B,
which direction do you rsync it?

I use Unison at home and it's an awesome tool; it's main benefit is that
it uses sshd to spawn a copy of the Unison server as needed, so there is
no server setup like rsyncd, and it's easy to connect securely over a
distance. One thing you may run into is that it might be difficult to put
Unison into a cronjob, as it sometimes requires user intervention (which
makes sense; if you modify the same file separately on different machines,
the user has to decide which one to use).

--
Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>