[opensource] Need the name of some tools: drive/folder synchronizing

Nick Brown brownnic at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 4 15:10:43 EDT 2006

Unison may be the better choice, but just for the record, doing
bidirectional syncing with rsync would just be a matter of having a script
to go each way.  Granted, that's maybe still more than people want to deal
with.  Also, rsync can use ssh as well to do all its work.  No daemon
neeeded.

Nick

On 5/4/06, paul c betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> I'd use Unison instead, making rsync bidirectional is tricky at best. The
> main problem is, if you change one file on PC A and one file on PC B,
> which direction do you rsync it?
>
> I use Unison at home and it's an awesome tool; it's main benefit is that
> it uses sshd to spawn a copy of the Unison server as needed, so there is
> no server setup like rsyncd, and it's easy to connect securely over a
> distance. One thing you may run into is that it might be difficult to put
> Unison into a cronjob, as it sometimes requires user intervention (which
> makes sense; if you modify the same file separately on different machines,
> the user has to decide which one to use).
>
> --
> Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>
>
> On Thu, 4 May 2006, Steven James Samuel Stapleton wrote:
>
> > Thanks everyone, rsync looks like it does part of it, but I'll need to
> > write it into a small bash script to do some of the extra verification
> > I want to do, and make it bi-directional: I may edit the files on one
> > computer or the other, depending on the files and my mood, and what
> > the other is busy with.
> >
> > I'll look into unison next, thanks again.
> >
> > -Jim

Nick Brown
Senior Network Administrator
The Graham School