[opensource] OpenSource Elections: 5/25/2006

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed May 10 21:46:28 EDT 2006

Dear OpenSource Club:

The OpenSource Club will be holding elections on May 25, 2005.

Per our constitution, club members must elect a benevolent dictator at
the end of every year. I would like to encourage all of you who are
interested to consider entering the elections. While the constitution
calls only for the election of the BD, it is required by the university
that the organization also have a treasurer and a secondary leader.
Therefore I encourage potential BDs to pair up with running mates who
you would like to fill these roles as part of your team.

I will not be running in these elections.

This does not mark my departure from the club, only a departure from the
leadership of the club. This has been a hard decision for me, but I feel
this is what is best for the club. I do still plan to be an active club
member and to be a part of club activities. I would be very glad to
serve as an adviser to the club's next BD. I would also be glad to allow
new leadership to take the club in new directions because that is a part
of the leadership experience.

Running an organization like the OpenSource club is fun and exciting in
ways that I never expected. I have met so many amazing, friendly, and
brilliant people during this past year. And now I am offering this same
journey to you.

By our mailing list figures alone, the OpenSource club has over 200
members. We represent the link between the global and local open source
 communities and the Ohio State campus. If you are looking for a way to
make a difference doing the thing that you love most, this is it. This
kind leadership experience will help you grow as an individual and it
will also help you when it comes time to leave OSU. Learning to work
with people, to bring out their talents, and to organize them behind a
common goal is not something that you can learn in the classroom, but it
is something you can learn at OSU.

Please mark your calendars for our meeting on May 25th. Feel free to use
the mailing list to discuss elections and to form groups. Also, feel
free to contact me personally if you have any questions or concerns.  I
will post more details about the format for elections soon.

Your Benevolent Dictator,
- jim.