[opensource] Just a quick question about the computer science minor.

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 18 18:29:32 EDT 2006

> Anyways, I'm probably going to avoid CS&E 560 since I always heard
> that was the horror class back when I was a CS&E major so that only
> leaves me with four choices of the minor elective classes.

LAME. CSE 560 is the most awesome class in the department, anyone who
says otherwise is wrong.

> That leaves the following classes without that as a prerequisite; 541
> - Elementary Numerical Methods,  625 - Introduction to Automata and
> Formal Language, 670 - Introduction to Database Systems, and 675.02
> Introduction to Computer Architecture.

They're all fine except 675.02, which I would avoid (not fun). I'd take
670 with Chaabouni though, he's a great teacher and actually knows what
he's talking about on real databases.

> Which two should I take?  How hard are the classes?  What about for
> someone that has not done much programming in a few years?  Would 560
> really be an option to take or is it really not that bad?

560 is an option only if you want to be more awesome. Do it in Lisp and
you'll be truly epic.

> Also, what is CS&E 360 like as it is the last one I would need to take
> for the required courses?

It's SPARC assembler, as well as learning about really simple computer
architecture, it's not too bad.

--
Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>