[opensource] Format for Upcoming Elections

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri May 19 12:06:51 EDT 2006

Dear Open Source Club:

Below I have outlined some notes on how I would like to proceed with our
elections.

Our constitution states: "The club should elect one leader whose title
shall be Benevolent Dictator."  However, this is at odds with the
university requirement that all registered student organizations have a
primary leader, secondary leader, and treasurer.  And also that these
positions be filled by the start of the next academic year.

Therefore, I propose the following interpretation of our voting rule:
All BD candidates must either make known their appointments for the
other two required officers at the time of our election or voluntarily
yield to the club to elect them.  (The exception:) If a BD candidate
wishes to reserve their constitutional right to appoint the other
required officers then they must make this known at the time of
elections.  Such a candidate, if elected, is required to appoint the
remaining required officers by the end of the current academic year or
yield to the club to elect them.

What this all translates to is that club members will be asked to vote
for all 3 officers either individually or as a group. If you vote for a
BD who has already appointed a secondary leader then you are allowed to
vote for that BD as well as a treasurer since voting for the BD also
constitutes a vote for the secondary leader.  Likewise, if you vote for
a BD who has made no officer appointments, you are allowed to cast a
vote for all officers.

These three required officers will be the only officers that are
elected.  As before, the BD is free to appoint whomever they choose to
any other offices they wish to create or continue from the previous year.

I feel that this is a good compromise between the university's
requirements and the spirit of our constitution.  I think it also
establishes an inroads for junior club members to become a part of the
club's leadership.  Most importantly, it will help to create more stable
leadership for the club by ensuring that the club's 3 primary officers
are chosen by the end of the academic year.

If anyone has concerns or objections, I ask that you please make them
known ASAP since elections will be held next Thursday so we are on a bit
of a crunch.  Voices of support for this convention are also appreciated.

Regards,
  - jim.