[opensource] CSE 560 advice

Mark Noble noble.48 at osu.edu
Sun May 21 15:38:57 EDT 2006

Profanity is just superstition, and the words that offend change over time.
We call poultry meat "dark" and "light" because people decided to be
offended at the mention of "breast" or "thigh".  Thank heavens we've
lightened up.

Since there's nothing inherently offensive in a combination of letters on
paper or sounds in the air, being offended by mere sounds or printed words
is a learned behavior.  It's all in the interperetation within the mind of
the listener, so that is the best place for this "problem" to be resolved.

You must have heard these words before, otherwise you wouldn't know that
prudes have reserved them to ilicit shock.  If it weren't for reactions like
yours, there wouldn't be "naughty words" at all.

If you were offended by Drew's email, you shouldn't visit Ireland.

Regards,
Mark